Bourton St James
St James is located on the outskirts of the village of Bourton in the direction of Bishopstone. It was founded and built in 1859 following the purchase of a plot of land by Mr T. Tucker, and its foundation stone was laid on August 8th of that year by Jane - Viscount Barrington. Prior to this the village had no church, and villagers would meet in a hut at the bottom of The Hill to worship.
Bourton is a small village, but the church remains important both to the village who hold services there twice a month (normally first Saturday at 10am and third Sunday at 9am), and to Pinewood school, who hold regular services there when Saturday school is in session. Village services welcome adults and children alike to enjoy the service, but also coffee and biscuits following it. The highlight of year is our candlelit holy communion service on Christmas Eve at 6pm, where the village children dress up as various members of the nativity to build a living crib, along with mulled wine for the adults and the traditional handbells rung by the Shrivenham bell ringers. Please visit bourtonvillageblog.blogspot.com for the latest service times and Messy Church events for children.