Image Longcot church is a lovely parish church whose shape seems to reflect that of the village it serves. The nave and chancel are 13th century (although the nave was repaired in 1606 and again in 1701); other parts of the building reflect later repairs and additions, and we look forward to being able to add a toilet and kitchenette as the 21st century’s contribution to maintaining the life of the church and its place at the centre of the village.

Within the building there is a font which probably dates from the 13th century; a hexagonal pulpit of fine Jacobean oak work and a wonderful 1733 painting of the arms of George III. In addition, there is a plaque in memory of Lillian Carter who, with her husband, lost her life on the Titanic in 1912. Lillian’s uncle, John Hughes, was vicar of Longcot from 1853-1895 and the chancel was refurbished in his memory. Family connections such as this are important in maintaining a sense of continuity.

The bell tower dates from 1722 (the original having collapsed in 1721) and bell ringing continues to play an important part in calling the village to worship. New ringers are always welcome!

Last but not least, the churchyard is managed by a team of volunteers and includes a wild-life garden which has won a number of environmental awards.

Longcot

Select the church you would like to view

© 2015 St Andrews Shrivenham